Sunday, August 20, 2006

Finding A New Host

Less than a month ago the entire server my site was hosted on was hacked. Supposedly that vulnerability was fixed. Well someone must have it out for that particular server because it was hit again last night.

So far I haven't found another host, but this is just getting insane so I am seriously looking now. Even if I don't find the best, it will still be a huge improvement. I have not heard from support yet, but the backup I have access to is again full of the hacked files. Thankfully this time I backed up everything earlier this month after learning the hard way last time.

On reason I haven't moved yet is I have done some looking around and there just isn't much reliable information out there. Most of what I find is self promotional, splogs, questionable review sites, or other people looking for a host. There are a number of good looking host review sites, but much of the info looks like taken from the host's page or submitted by them. I would much rather find a blogger who has tried several hosts and strongly recommends it. But thanks to splogs and reblogs those are impossible to find.

GoDaddy was high on my list mostly because I couldn't find anything that offered what I want. It sounds great and has really low prices, but is apparently is insanely oversold and has little support.

I finally decided on BlueHost.com partly because of the CEO's blog in which he admits they have had bad service lately and what they are doing to fix it. The price is reasonable though it isn't nearly as cheep as the $20 a year I paid before, but you do get what you pay for and I will have a lot more features to play with. The company has been around since 1996 so in terms of internet years that is like forever. Overall customers seem to be relatively happy, unlike with my previous host after they were sold. Hopefully I made a good choice. I will let you know how it turns out.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home